• +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What Are You Listening To V.2.0

Gordon Freeman's Personal Aid

#31 Posted 25 May 2006 - 08:12 PM

The Weight - Band

Just got into them recently, and I must say, I'm thoroughly impress. And my favorites would be The Weight, The Stones I Throw, and I Shall Be Released.

But too bad their history's so short.

#32 Posted 25 May 2006 - 08:21 PM

statesboro blues (live at the fillmore)-the allman brothers band

its a real shame they closed the two fillmores, there were some good bands that played in those halls.

ZOMG! 666!

dazed and confused
live may 3, 1971 (return to the clubs tour of europe 1971) at the KB Hallen, Denmark
led zeppelin

during this tour the band gave many previews to led zeppelin iv. this includes stairway to heaven, rock and roll (known as been a long time), and misty mountain hop as well as a preformance of ramble on. during this concert gallows pole and four sticks (known as for your entertainment) were played for the first and only time.
Posted Image

#33 Posted 25 May 2006 - 08:23 PM

I'm listening to the Mars Volta at the moment, which is one of my favorite bands of all time. The song is L'Via L'Viasquez, which is also my favorite song by them, probably because of the Latin overtone to it all.

IM SO COOL

#34 Posted 25 May 2006 - 08:24 PM

View Postw-ninja, on May 25 2006, 12:08 PM, said:

Ambient music

"Ambient Music must be able to accommodate many levels of listening attention without enforcing one in particular; it must be as ignorable as it is interesting." -- Brian Eno

From Synthtopia:

I'm not going to get into a detailed history, you can read about it on Wikipedia or Synthopia if you want to. Basically though, the term ambient music was coined by Brian Eno when he released Ambient 1: Music for Airports in 1978. He's considered to be the originator of ambient music.

It's hard to explain what ambient sounds like, so it's easier to provide examples. Click on the bold links for 30 second samples.

Brian Eno
1/1 (Ambient 1: Music for Airports)
2/2 (Ambient 1: Music for Airports)
The Lost Day (Ambient 4: On Land)
Dunwich Beach, Autumn, 1960 (Ambient 4: On Land)

Biosphere
Spindrift (Shenzhou)
Two Ocean Plateau (Shenzhou)
Moistened & Dried (Cirque)
Sphere of No-Form (Substrata)

Jonn Serrie
Starport Indra (Century Seasons)
Fantasy Passages (And the Stars Go With You)
The Far River (And the Stars Go With You)
Deep Starship (Flightpath)

Steve Roach
Structures From Silence (Structures From Silence)

Almost all of the above is pure ambient music, but ambient can't be strictly defined as a genre. I tend to judge ambient based on how well it works as background music. Beats and rhythm tend to make it distracting, and less ambient. Ambient also doesn't have to be fully electronic, or electronic at all. You could make ambient with regular instruments, and Brian Eno's Music for Airports has actually been performed with live instruments by Bang on a Can. Many songs combine electronics, instruments and sampled sounds (such as the sound of rain, or the wind) together. A recurring theme in ambient music seems to be an effort to convey a sense of time and/or space. An ambient song might try to portray a windy day, a rainforest, an alien planet, a black hole or some sort of feeling or moment. Or just something abstract.

Finally, here's what Brian Eno wrote on the liner notes of On Land (1986 release):

Sigur Ros is what I'd call ambient, at least from the samples you provided. Mogwai would also fit into that category (at least some songs).
Posted Image
Xbox Live : ValdimirBananas | PSN: Berkowitz1337

View PostMoleX, on Mar 3 2009, 08:17 AM, said:

F a Berkowitz....

#35 Posted 25 May 2006 - 08:32 PM

View PostBerkowitz1337, on May 25 2006, 04:24 PM, said:

Sigur Ros is what I'd call ambient, at least from the samples you provided. Mogwai would also fit into that category (at least some songs).

Technically they're post-rock which ambient could be classified as I guess. Great music at any rate. I can't wait to hear what Sigur Ros will do next, they have yet to disappoint in the slightest. w-ninja, you'd probably like them a lot.
What oak tree?
Lead Singer and Cowbell Player for Robots With P.M.S.

Site Dictator

#36 Posted 25 May 2006 - 08:35 PM

View PostBerkowitz1337, on May 25 2006, 11:24 PM, said:

Sigur Ros and Mogwai? Eh, I doubt it. I'd like to hear samples.
Posted Image
I substitute your reality and reject my own

#37 Posted 25 May 2006 - 08:37 PM

View Postw-ninja, on May 25 2006, 04:35 PM, said:

Well I don't exactly think that they're ambient but here's a sample anyway.

That's Sigur Ros by the way, not Mogwai.
What oak tree?

Citadel Elite Guard

#38 Posted 25 May 2006 - 08:39 PM

Tool - H.W.A.P.

At first I didn't like Tool, but then I went a little deeper and found some more songs by them. I like them now for the weirdness :tongue

G-Man Personal Aid

#39 Posted 25 May 2006 - 08:42 PM

Right now, It's the new Halifax CD: The Inevitability of a Strange World.
The two I'm actually listening to are:
Our Revolution, and A Tint of Rain.

Our revolution is basically a rock and roll tribute song, and it has some pretty badass guitar work. A Tint of Rain is probably my favorite song on the album so far, it mixes mellow vocals and a pretty ripping chorus, which ME GUSTA.
You'd like them if you're just a rock fan, and especailly if you're a fan of emo. Not that they're overly emo-ish, but the vocalist has a voice that's pretty suiting with emo.

purevolume linkie: http://www.purevolume.com/halifax

Has some pretty good songs from their old demo on there, the only new
one's Under Fire and the acoustic vers of a new one. I'd suggest A Writer's Reference, Sydney, and Broken Glass Syndrome.

Site Dictator

#40 Posted 25 May 2006 - 08:44 PM

View PostRaul78, on May 25 2006, 11:37 PM, said:

Well I don't exactly think that they're ambient but here's a sample anyway.

That's Sigur Ros by the way, not Mogwai.

No, that's not ambient. Doesn't sound bad, but it's not ambient.
Posted Image
I substitute your reality and reject my own

G-Man Personal Aid

#41 Posted 25 May 2006 - 08:44 PM

View Postilh, on May 25 2006, 05:49 PM, said:

Confined by As I Lay Dying

I listen to their stuff a lot because they have awesome double-bassage - who says Christian music is all happy clappy? :P
Not been to see them yet as I don't think they've ever been over here (UK) before :(

Tea's out so I gotta stop typing...laters.

"Control Is Dead" by As I Lay Dying

At one point, they were my favorite band, not so much anymore, but they're still up there.

I like the way this song blends the demonic screaming of Zao's old singer (I honestly can't remember his name), with the style of Tim of AILD. Also, with Jordan's catchy double bassing and the simple but also catchy guitar rhythms, they're one of my favorite bands.
Co-vocalist for the hit new band, "Robots With P.M.S."

Pentium 4 3GHz processor, 1GB Corsair pc3200 RAM, Leadtek 6600gt video card, ASUS P5GDC Deluxe Intel Motherboard, Seagate 80GB SATA hard drive, 19" Samsung Syncmaster monitor, Logitech MX700 mouse, Logitech Elite keyboard, Windows XP, CoolerMaster Real Power 450W Power supply

#42 Posted 25 May 2006 - 08:47 PM

View Postw-ninja, on May 25 2006, 04:44 PM, said:

No, that's not ambient. Doesn't sound bad, but it's not ambient.

I agree, it's most commonly classified as post-rock which is a genre that's growing in popularity. Then again, some of their stuff is borderline ambient, specifically some songs from their album ( ).
What oak tree?

IM SO COOL

#43 Posted 25 May 2006 - 08:50 PM

View Postw-ninja, on May 25 2006, 12:35 PM, said:

Here's one for mogwai.

And another (live)
Posted Image
Xbox Live : ValdimirBananas | PSN: Berkowitz1337

View PostMoleX, on Mar 3 2009, 08:17 AM, said:

F a Berkowitz....

G-Man Personal Aid

#44 Posted 25 May 2006 - 08:51 PM

Fort Minor - Kenji.

Im sure many know about the group...the main rapper is Mike Shinoda from Linkin Park. Its probably one of the best rap cd I've heard in a while...the lyrics are ingeniusly written and are well complemented by the music/beats. If you like rap...its worth a listen.
Posted Image

#45 Posted 25 May 2006 - 08:53 PM

close to you
absolutely live
the doors

one of the only songs that features ray on vocals. he's pretty good imo, not as good as mr mojo, but still good.
Posted Image

• (467 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users