• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What Are You Listening To V.2.0

High Priest of Onionism

Icon

#6991 Posted 09 September 2017 - 08:37 AM

Check out this shit, yo.

To all the squares who think jazz isn't hip anymore.
Posted Image
A Vvaardenfell sunset

Ivan the Space Biker's Personal Aid

Icon

#6992 Posted 28 September 2017 - 06:34 PM

More Sui- Book Reviews

Dune: A mystical planet that is the genesis of all sci-fi novels for the past 50+ years, that pretty much tells you everything (10/10)
Flowers for Algernon: An introspective look on how we treat the mentally handicap through the eyes of someone who lives it (7.5/10)
The Gunslinger (Dark Tower series): My first introduction into Stephen King's coke fueled literary rampage. I don't know where I got to, but the ride was fun (9/10)

Now reading The 5th season (Broken Earth series) because the internet told me. It's a book about people with powers to cause earthquakes.

We shall see how it goes.
Posted Image

G-Man Personal Aid

Icon

#6993 Posted 29 September 2017 - 04:45 PM

"With a lead filled snowshoe
He said, peekaboo"

:(
They used to call me FatFunkey

Steam Profile Xbox Live ID FatFunkeyPiRaTe

Icon

#6994 Posted 29 September 2017 - 06:42 PM

View PostWibbles, on 29 September 2017 - 12:45 PM, said:

"With a lead filled snowshoe
He said, peekaboo"

:(

that song thought me not to eat the yellow snow

may zappa live a long life...
Posted Image

#6995 Posted 07 October 2017 - 11:55 PM

View Postsuicide_mission, on 29 September 2017 - 02:42 PM, said:

that song thought me not to eat the yellow snow

may zappa live a long life...

if zappa being culturally dead means that the hologram tour doesn't happen, i'd be ok with that
Posted Image

Icon

#6996 Posted 31 October 2017 - 05:38 PM

Another Book Review:

The Lord of The Rings: Whimsical book, hard to enjoy due to the "light" writing style that made my eyes roll (or at least how it was read). The book did not feel as good as the movie. Had to end after the hobbits get trapped by a tree and bombadil comes in to rescue them. 2/10, would not read.

The Fifth Season (Broken Earth Series): Three distinct stories about Roggas, a derogatory term for earth quake causing humans, in a land that is fraught with fault lines, moving tectonic plates and stone eaters who wait for the end of the world. The author does an amazing job at creating the world lore through its character's interactions, the smell, the feeling of dirt on the ground, the sweat in their skin, and their fear and joys through the text (or audio in this case). 9.5/10 (would have been 10/10 if they didn't leave it at a cliffhanger and made me subsequently buy the second book)
Posted Image

News Team

Icon

#6997 Posted 01 November 2017 - 01:17 PM

Posted Image

Icon

#6998 Posted 06 January 2018 - 06:08 AM

I just finished listening to The Broken Earth Trilogy by N.K. Jemisin. Pretty wonderful and descriptive book about a world trapped in never ending earthquakes and those that have the power to quail or trigger them. The author is great for being so descriptive, this is dune level stuff. The world is believable that people has rock powers!

The Fifth Season: Three separate stories that tell the world of stillness through the eyes of orogenes. A child discovering her powers and how she must be contained. A soldier demanding freedom and a woman who wishes to murder her husband for killing their child. Almost impossible to put done (9.5/10)

The Obelisk Gate: The story continues from the first. The Season has started, the world is ending once more. This time we learn about all the waring factions, the stone eaters, the guardians and what survival means for orogenes when the planet wants to destroy all human life. Great continuation, but the writing style starts to wear on you (8.5/10)

The Stone Sky
: The ending to the series. Essun and Nassun are living two different lives. Essun, the mother, wishes to make the world a better place for her daughter. Essun, on the other hand, wants to destroy the world once and for all. Both will need the moon to complete this task. Pretty much on par with the second book, by the end I wanted it to be over and suddenly it was over too fast (8/10)

Pretty good series, the first book was incredible and forced me to buy the next one, but the rest in the series seemed like it wasn't as impactful as the first one.
Posted Image

Lolicopter Pilot

#6999 Posted 06 January 2018 - 06:26 PM

Been going down the mash up rabbit hole, and really dig this one.

XBOX Live/Steam - Crusty Magic
PSN - Crusty_Magic

High Priest of Onionism

Icon

#7000 Posted 20 January 2018 - 01:21 PM

I loooooooved The Martian, by Andy Weir, both the book and the audiobook, even the movie adaptation wasn't half bad.

However, I had been apprehensive about his new book, since he had said it to be more "traditional" sci-fi, I'd been afraid he'd bite off more than he could chew.
Fortunately, all my fears were assuaged when I started listening to Artemis, read by Rosario Dawson (I also wasn't sure of her, but she really pulls it off).

NO SPOILERS
The writing style and the tone is quite similar to The Martian: a first person, intimate and personal story, in a larger world, so Weir is cleverly playing to his strengths. It's also not about spaceships and wormholes and aliens, it's a kind-of believable near-future, so Weir can continue to nerd out on physics and technology, as he did so well before.
I particularly enjoyed a peak nerding out on the topic of fibre optics, since that is my day job nowadays.

9/10, high quality entertainment, hats off to both Andy Weir and Rosario Dawson.
Posted Image
A Vvaardenfell sunset

Icon

#7001 Posted 22 January 2018 - 08:20 PM

Fire and Fury: Inside the Trump Whitehouse by Michael Wolff:

if you are a political junkie and still can't understand how Trump got elected then this is the book for you. It doesn't bring in anything new to your understanding of Trump, it's more about the jaw dropping behavior of people who work with, around and behind Trump and how a dysfunctional white house can still work with enough sane individuals. What is does shine into is the coordination with Fox News, Roger Ailes and Rupert Murdoch.

More demoralizing is how the country has existed so long without a despot in the oval office since, by all accounts, it does not appear to be prohibited by the constitution.

8/10
Posted Image

omgpotato

#7002 Posted 10 February 2018 - 02:59 AM

Lo Fi Hip Hop stream :)
Posted Image

• (467 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic