• +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Soapbox Formerly El inspector's rantbox

Scholar and a Gentleman

#31 Posted 20 June 2008 - 03:00 PM

View PostCake21, on Jun 20 2008, 02:58 PM, said:

Aye, me neither. I never said that they would suck on the consoles. Just that if FPS's on consoles didn't have autoaim, a lot of ppl wouldn't like em cuz they would be too hard

And my original post about the hitman game was saying that it's unfair for him to hate the game because of "control" problems since they were originally made for the PC.

"This is why you shouldn't play great games that started on the PC on a console. It's gonna have shite controls without a mouse. period."

Where does your post state that exactly? :P
[360 Gamertag] [Last.fm] [unikGamer] [PSN ID] [Steam] [Anime] [Discogs] [Criticker] 3DS: 4596-9700-4475

I am a Lie

Icon

#32 Posted 20 June 2008 - 03:03 PM

View PostVN1X, on Jun 20 2008, 03:00 PM, said:

"This is why you shouldn't play great games that started on the PC on a console. It's gonna have shite controls without a mouse. period."

Where does your post state that exactly? :P

I was replying to his comment about hitman though. The "games" was there as a generalization. There are a few others that just won't work on a console very well, but not many since they added autoaim to a lot of em.

Didn't you ever play the original Hitman: Codename 47 on PC? they really never changed the controls for it at all since the first one (except for the addition of a first person view)
Posted Image

G-Man Personal Aid

#33 Posted 20 June 2008 - 03:08 PM

Looks like the new Alone in the Dark is getting mediocre reviews (posted them in the AITD thread. It got a few 3's!!!!!!!!!! :(

I was really hoping it would be as good as it looked.

Scholar and a Gentleman

#34 Posted 20 June 2008 - 03:09 PM

View PostCake21, on Jun 20 2008, 03:03 PM, said:

I was replying to his comment about hitman though. The "games" was there as a generalization. There are a few others that just won't work on a console very well, but not many since they added autoaim to a lot of em.

Didn't you ever play the original Hitman: Codename 47 on PC? they really never changed the controls for it at all since the first one (except for the addition of a first person view)

Yeah I played the first Hitman on PC. I don't remember anything about it's controls though. Was it released for consoles then?
[360 Gamertag] [Last.fm] [unikGamer] [PSN ID] [Steam] [Anime] [Discogs] [Criticker] 3DS: 4596-9700-4475

I am a Lie

Icon

#35 Posted 20 June 2008 - 03:10 PM

View PostVN1X, on Jun 20 2008, 03:09 PM, said:

Yeah I played the first Hitman on PC. I don't remember anything about it's controls though. Was it released for consoles then?

not the first one for some reason
they only started porting the hitmans from hitman 2: silent assassin and up
Posted Image

Scholar and a Gentleman

#36 Posted 20 June 2008 - 03:11 PM

View PostCake21, on Jun 20 2008, 03:10 PM, said:

not the first one for some reason
they only started porting the hitmans from hitman 2: silent assassin and up

Call me thick but what's your point then?

I am a Lie

Icon

#37 Posted 20 June 2008 - 03:20 PM

View PostVN1X, on Jun 20 2008, 03:11 PM, said:

Call me thick but what's your point then?

just that with the way the controls for the first game was built on the PC and the fact that they haven't really changed at all since then, it's unfair for a console player to say it has shite controls and hate the game based solely off of that, since it started on the PC.
Posted Image

Scholar and a Gentleman

#38 Posted 20 June 2008 - 03:25 PM

View PostCake21, on Jun 20 2008, 03:20 PM, said:

just that with the way the controls for the first game was built on the PC and the fact that they haven't really changed at all since then, it's unfair for a console player to say it has shite controls and hate the game based solely off of that, since it started on the PC.

Well again I didn't have any problems with H:BM's controls for the 360 and I'm not saying that just because I didn't have any problems with them everyone else didn't either but eh yeah... What was I going to say?

Ehr... I think we both made our points I guess lol.

What's your take on this Yoggs? :w00t:

EDIT: Oh he he left already.

I am a Lie

Icon

#39 Posted 20 June 2008 - 03:40 PM

View PostVN1X, on Jun 20 2008, 03:25 PM, said:

Well again I didn't have any problems with H:BM's controls for the 360 and I'm not saying that just because I didn't have any problems with them everyone else didn't either but eh yeah... What was I going to say?

Ehr... I think we both made our points I guess lol.

What's your take on this Yoggs? :w00t:

EDIT: Oh he he left already.

lol, i know. same here
Posted Image

G-Man Personal Aid

#40 Posted 20 June 2008 - 04:11 PM

I played Hitman once and sniped the wrong person. Ended my mission

Gordon Freeman's Personal Aid

#41 Posted 20 June 2008 - 04:18 PM

I was blown away by Bioshock, Orange Box, God of War 2, Mass Effect, GTA 4 (and im not even done with it yet!), and now OMFGBBQ Metal Gear Solid 4 turned my world upside down. I am ok with the steady stream of good titles, with some "catch up time" during the winter and summer for awhile.
See our Last Minute Films! PSN ID = Xal-Shoota

#42 Posted 20 June 2008 - 04:23 PM

yeah i hated cod3, what a waste of money.
Posted Image

Poison Piealicious

#43 Posted 20 June 2008 - 04:38 PM

View PostLyndon, on Jun 20 2008, 02:04 PM, said:

If you took a survey on the entire population, you'd find that only 2% have an IQ of mensa quality.

Posted Image :tongue

Being of mensa quality means you belong to the 2% of people with higher IQ than the rest. It's a critirium to score an IQ higher than .98 of the population.

When games were starting off, joining a game company required you were extremely intelligent otherwise you would be useless in the company, it was basically a bunch of extremely smart people collaborating. Now the game industry has tools to make life easier, so they hire average intelligence people, who obviously will make average games and do average work. It's not that they want to, its just that they aren't smart enough to see the bigger picture.
I think it is more along the lines of that the teams have gotten bigger and bigger. That's enough to loose sight of the bigger picture. Large teams mean that animators, level designers, modelers and what not probably have little knowledge of what the other is doing.
In the very early days people could make games on their own or with a group that could be counted on one hand. As possibilities and capabilities expanded teams needed to get bigger. And so less involved in the entire progress.
Beside there are plenty of average games in the past.

Moral of this story, the majority of the world is born with mediocre minds and the games being produced are a reflection of that.

It's not as much about being born, since the a very large part of how we are and what we are interested in can be traced back to our enviroment. That and society often requires you to fill certain roles. We can't all be doctors not just because some people aren't cut out for it, but also because, we can't survive on doctors alone, so to speak.
Posted Image

Prowler

#44 Posted 20 June 2008 - 04:50 PM

Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles was a horrible game if you didn't have the Wii Zapper.

G-Man Personal Aid

#45 Posted 20 June 2008 - 05:52 PM

View PostBerrie, on Jun 20 2008, 04:38 PM, said:

Being of mensa quality means you belong to the 2% of people with higher IQ than the rest. It's a critirium to score an IQ higher than .98 of the population.

Okay? So you have a better knowledge of how the mensa scoring system works, congratulations. It doesn't disprove anything I have written. Most of the world is average, very few are smart. I am sure you went to highschool and found that in a class of 30, there was only 2-3 top dogs, the rest were average.

I think it is more along the lines of that the teams have gotten bigger and bigger. That's enough to loose sight of the bigger picture. Large teams mean that animators, level designers, modelers and what not probably have little knowledge of what the other is doing.
In the very early days people could make games on their own or with a group that could be counted on one hand. As possibilities and capabilities expanded teams needed to get bigger. And so less involved in the entire progress.
Beside there are plenty of average games in the past.

This is another possible factor for sure, but don't act like its disproving anything I have said.

It's not as much about being born, since the a very large part of how we are and what we are interested in can be traced back to our enviroment. That and society often requires you to fill certain roles. We can't all be doctors not just because some people aren't cut out for it, but also because, we can't survive on doctors alone, so to speak.

No really, the world is not an equal place. Everyone thinks differently, and some are more capable then others. Not everyone can be a doctor, not everyone can be in game development. Currently we have a lot of artists and programmers working in game development, but they simply aren't the right archetype for it.

• (528 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users