Half-Life Fallout: Source Engine 2 incoming? - Half-Life Fallout

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Source Engine 2 incoming?

Gordon Freeman's Personal Aid

#1 Posted 07 August 2014 - 04:43 PM

Valve have been very low key about Source2, like no hype whatsoever. The way we found about it was some guy just asked Gabe and he said ya it exists. After that it was mentioned a number of times during steamdev days in a very matter of fact kind of way. Then the creator of CS said that he was allowed to see it and it is similar to the latest unreal engine. Probably they are not ready to license it yet so they don't feel the need to promote it.

Now this

Valve suspected to have 'soft-launched' Source 2 engine
New Dota 2 Workshop tools believed to carry signs of next-gen game engine
By Rob Crossley on Thursday 7th Aug 2014 at 9:39 AM UTC

A group of modders and game enthusiasts suspect that Valve has quietly soft-launched Source 2, the long-awaited game engine that could be the building blocks for future games such as Left4Dead 3 and Half-Life 3. In the early hours on Thursday, Valve announced it had released Workshop Tools for Dota 2, allowing modders to create and distribute custom game modes. Notably, the new tools have relatively high system requirements, such a 64-bit version of Windows and a DirectX 11 compatible graphics card.The first Source Engine was the building blocks for key Valve games such as Half-Life 2, Portal 2 and Dota 2

In a message posted on Steam, Valve acknowledged that "this is a developer focused release and currently has high system requirements" but did not suggest this was tied to its Source 2 engine. However, hours after its release, a modder who posts on Reddit as 'RoyAwesome' has gathered evidence to suggest, as is his belief, that Valve has "soft-launched Source 2".

At the centre of his theory is that, while Dota 2's assets are the same in the new Workshop update, the code is meaningfully different. "Everything in this package is a new game," he writes. "It's all the Dota assets and code ported over to Source 2. That's why Hammer [a game editor] is different. That's why the console is different. Guys. Valve just soft launched the entire Source 2 engine." That suggestion in itself has triggered a debate on the Reddit thread, where users are cross-examining this claim. It could be the case that Workshop is related to Valve's new tech, but is not outright the engine itself. The thread author points out that "everything that would share a name with Source is named '...2'. That's engine2.dll, vconsole2.exe, vphysics2.dll."

Valve has not commented on the matter and was unavailable for comment at the time of going to press. The corporation is known for continually upgrading its technologies, which could mean its Workshop update is not related to Source 2. In March, Valve managing director Gabe Newell said that Source 2 will allow for enhanced user-generated content. "The biggest improvements will be in increasing productivity of content creation," he said at the time. "That focus is driven by the importance we see user-generated content having going forward. A professional developer at Valve will put up with a lot of pain that won't work if users themselves have to create content."

Yet it is a matter of debate whether Valve has soft-launched Source 2 as part of that user-focus philosophy. On Reddit, RoyAwesome also claims that: "The Workshop also allows for different dlls to load and render different assets (vmaps are rendered by worldrenderer.dll, etc). This is a completely new architecture from Valves previous system. "This bit alone would indicate a significant amount of engine work has been done to split these bits out of the engine and into their own libraries. That means the engine is also completely plug-and-play with new engine level components if valve creates them for different games. This is pretty freaking huge."

http://www.computera...ource-2-engine/

G-Man Personal Aid

Icon

#2 Posted 08 August 2014 - 01:55 AM

I've heard the new Hammer editor is really nice. I never used it so I don't care, but anything that makes sourcemods easier is great in my book

Hoping to hear more at Gamescon next week... hype train choochoo
Posted Image
Steam ID || NNID: Inimitable
Former HLF Staff, 6/6/2017 - 9/5/2019

Combine Elite Pilot

#3 Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:13 PM

http://www.giantbomb...back/2300-9309/

Oh please Sierra, Publish HL3. Sweet Jesus.

Colonel Benefactor

Icon

#4 Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:17 PM

Haha that would be the most awesome comeback ever, I think Valve just bought and jump started Sierra just to release HL3.

Hearing this still gives me goosebumps...

#5 Posted 09 August 2014 - 02:42 PM

Combine Elite Pilot

#6 Posted 09 August 2014 - 02:50 PM

View PostHumbug, on 09 August 2014 - 03:42 PM, said:

I just watched that. He makes some good points but he also makes a lot of assumptions on one leaked image of a source 2 directory. I think we've known most of what he has stated in that video anyway.

G-Man Personal Aid

Icon

#7 Posted 09 August 2014 - 04:52 PM

SO Activison Blizzard re-activated Sierra.

http://www.sierra.com/

Don't know why, Probably for tax reasons I'm guessing with all the parent companies and sub companies and Activison Blizzard buying up the rest of Vivendi Games.

Maybe I can see a damn World In Conflict sequel. God that was a good RTS.
They used to call me FatFunkey

Steam Profile Xbox Live ID FatFunkeyPiRaTe

Prowler

#8 Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:59 PM

View PostWibbles, on 09 August 2014 - 12:52 PM, said:

SO Activison Blizzard re-activated Sierra.

http://www.sierra.com/

Don't know why, Probably for tax reasons I'm guessing with all the parent companies and sub companies and Activison Blizzard buying up the rest of Vivendi Games.

Maybe I can see a damn World In Conflict sequel. God that was a good RTS.

I would love to see a sequel to WiC as well but the devs, Massive, are part of Ubisoft now.
Posted Image

Poison Piealicious

#9 Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:18 PM

Kind of iffed that the first game to likely feature Source2 is going to be DOTA2.
Where's my Half-Life 3/2 Episode 3 Ricochet 2! :whack:
Posted Image

#10 Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:49 PM

View PostBerrie, on 11 August 2014 - 10:48 PM, said:

Kind of iffed that the first game to likely feature Source2 is going to be DOTA2.
Where's my Half-Life 3/2 Episode 3 Ricochet 2! :whack:

It looks like they are porting TF2, Dota2, CS:GO maybe even L4D2 (basically all the active games) to the new engine. Which makes life a lot easier for the mod community due to the new SDK. I think it's a good move. Of course these games will not show off the capabilities of the new engine, it's like when they ported HL1 to the source engine (Half Life Source), still looked like HL1.

Valve seems to have booked a booth at gamescon for this weekend.
http://www.gamescom-...stichwort=valve
So fingers crossed they will give us a tech demo of source2, and not just talk about steam machines. Because atm we don't know anything about the engine's capabilities.

Throwing feces at your screen.

#11 Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:14 PM

View PostHumbug, on 11 August 2014 - 07:49 PM, said:

It looks like they are porting TF2, Dota2, CS:GO maybe even L4D2 (basically all the active games) to the new engine. Which makes life a lot easier for the mod community due to the new SDK. I think it's a good move. Of course these games will not show off the capabilities of the new engine, it's like when they ported HL1 to the source engine (Half Life Source), still looked like HL1.

Valve seems to have booked a booth at gamescon for this weekend.
http://www.gamescom-...stichwort=valve
So fingers crossed they will give us a tech demo of source2, and not just talk about steam machines. Because atm we don't know anything about the engine's capabilities.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for HL3! ^^'
Posted Image
SPAAAACEEE!

#steamid: stfutnx

Icon

#12 Posted 17 September 2014 - 01:01 AM

View PostMonkeh, on 11 August 2014 - 07:14 PM, said:

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for HL3! ^^'

You and me both brother.

G-Man Personal Aid

#13 Posted 03 October 2014 - 01:21 AM

The first Sierra game I ever played was Civil War Generals 2

#14 Posted 05 March 2015 - 01:37 PM

From GDC today- First leaked shaky CAM footage of a map specifically built in Source 2

watch in 1080p fullscreen

The demo was not intended to show off the engine, it was meant as a demo for VR, but the level of fidelity is clearly beyond the previous source engine.

confirmed by one of Valve's employees
https://twitter.com/...390062731149314

The engine will be free to content developers, and will also support the next generation Khronos API known as Vulkan which is meant to rival directX 12. Signalling valve's intention to move away from directX...

Colonel Benefactor

Icon

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users