• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A Suicide Mission Across America

Ivan the Space Biker's Personal Aid

Icon

#1 Posted 14 September 2015 - 02:01 AM

Current Map Progress:

Posted Image

I decided a while ago that we had enough of the east coast, friendly people but no tacos, so 5 years was enough for us. Gave my job a 2 weeks notice and packed up and we are on our way back to the west coast!

Day 1: Start of Trip. Columbia, SC (434 miles)

I thought i could pack everything and clean our temporary house in the morning and leave by 7:00am. No such dice, you look at your stuff and say, yeah, its not that much, but man, it was, so much that we had to leave behind a nice stereo, dog kennel, tools, books, etc. I left them to a friend who lent us her place, she was super nice in doing that when no-one would. In the end it took us 2 hours to load the trailer/vw rabbit, the sudden rain down poor didn't help by the way. Now the cleaning part, if took us 2 more hours to clean up the house, its ridiculous how messy you can leave a place when you don't clean it before hand, but such is life, we ended up with a pile of trash, 2 feet by 4 feet by 1.5 foot high. I also left it to said friend,

The travel was pleasant, we were greeted by unending rows of trees on both sides of the road. The cats & dog were surprisingly tempered. Wife's mood was positive. The sudden oscillations were easily dampened (drive straight). The sunset was enjoyable. Praise America for this god given earth and freedom.

Day 2: Tuscaloosa, AL (416 miles)

The day started well enough, checked jeep, oil seems a bit dirty, but its sunday and everything is closed, so eff it, ill take care of it on day 3. Two, waifu didn't get any sleep because A) People could somehow steal our cars, B) the male cat (pancho) would not stop meowing which I was unaware due to my heavy sleeping (and snoring) Atleast we left early enough (10 am)

The travel was pleasant, we were greeted by unending rows of trees on both sides of the road. The cats & dog were surprisingly tempered. Wife's mood was positive. We listened to audio books and online streaming when near cell phone reception. The only exception was the slight detour into Atlanta, GA due to a driver mistake, google indicated a quick exit back through the most ghetto street ever, boarded houses, vehicles in non stellar condition, a sign post indicating a $500 fine for driving by after hours. The sigh of relief when seeing the freeway entrance was a blessing. This is the greatest country that has ever been and will ever be, forever, amen.

Day 3: Longview, TX (pending)
Posted Image

G-Man Personal Aid

Icon

#2 Posted 14 September 2015 - 05:13 AM

We're waiting for you, sui... In the West chamber...
Posted Image
Steam ID || NNID: Inimitable
Former HLF Staff, 6/6/2019 - 9/5/20XX

High Priest of Onionism

Icon

#3 Posted 14 September 2015 - 08:00 AM

As soon as you pass missourah's longditude, be sure to roleplay the oregon trail. stack up on ammo and dystentry medicine...then again your final quest is to get tacos, maybe shitting yourself to death is part of the experience.

Posted Image
Posted Image
A Vvaardenfell sunset

Colonel Benefactor

Icon

#4 Posted 14 September 2015 - 01:27 PM

Holy fuck that must be a nice trip, if you feel like it, post some pictures. I'd love to see some nice 'Merican countryside.
Doing a west to east or vica versa is still on my shovel (professionals call it a "bucket") list.

Funny how times change, hundreds years ago the Cherokees got forced to go west by capitalist Americans.
And now a man in a Cherokee is forced to go west by taco's.

Mr Macintosh

Icon

#5 Posted 14 September 2015 - 04:18 PM

Sui sent me some pics of his trip so far

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Intergalactic Wizard

Icon

#6 Posted 14 September 2015 - 04:38 PM

Longview? Come stop by Ft. Worth, there's a Velvet Taco there (and in Dallas as well...)
Posted Image

Icon

#7 Posted 15 September 2015 - 11:59 AM

Posted Image

Day 3: Jeep Grand Cherooke, or How I learned to Love the Torque Converter (Longview, Tx, 426 mi)

A fancy feature found in this vehicle is called Over Drive, it sounds better than Regular Drive doesn't it?, welp thats what I thought, but there was a little button that turned it off, never thought much of it (why break something that works?) it turns out Over Drive converts your sweet ride into a limping old lady just to save gas, and switching it off turns into a ranging beast, 1000+ more rpm with longer shifts for better torque, i was climbing hills at 70mph with 3600lbs of weight (~1632 Kg), but there is a price to pay, nothing's free in this world, my mpg went from 16 to 10. such is life.

That was on Day 2

The morning on Day 3 I went to the local service shop (Pep Boys) and slapped that engine in sweet synthetic honey, and that little engine took it like a champ, I am now getting 13 mpg, the savings along paid for that oil change.

The drive itself was typical, the occupants were calm and in a positive mood. The male cat's cry for release lasted a few minutes before his voice quieted in the sea of loud music. The vast endless trees are being slowly replaced by fields and bushes. The leaves show a tinge of yellow as it to say fall is here. The air is getting warmer as we approach the vast wasteland known as Pecos, Texas (556 miles, 11 hours). The drive will be long, the temps will be high, this will be the true challenge of the trip.

View Postshampo0o, on 14 September 2015 - 09:27 AM, said:

Holy fuck that must be a nice trip, if you feel like it, post some pictures. I'd love to see some nice 'Merican countryside.
Doing a west to east or vica versa is still on my shovel (professionals call it a "bucket") list.

I wish I could post anything interesting, but its been just freeways, so it would mostly be like this:

Posted Image

The only thing interesting I have found is a picture I took at the hotel this morning

Posted Image

It was a bright illumination light with a layer of flies/mosquitos/whatnot on top of it, that smoke is coming from their corpses.

View PostSynicalSpaghetti, on 14 September 2015 - 12:38 PM, said:

Longview? Come stop by Ft. Worth, there's a Velvet Taco there (and in Dallas as well...)

I wish we could sight see, but we are packed with all our stuff from Virginia including a dog and 2 cats. We loved road tripped, and we will do it again when we are light.
Posted Image

Colonel Benefactor

Icon

#8 Posted 16 September 2015 - 03:29 PM

All your Euro Truck Simulator 2 skillz will come in handy this trip I presume.
You can think that the overdrive was the retarder you forgot to turn off. And the cats and dogs are cattle that will get you more money and need you to drive more cautious.
Your wife will get sick at the end off the trip from you roll-playing.

Icon

#9 Posted 17 September 2015 - 02:02 PM

Posted Image

Day 4/5: The Warp in the West aka The Miracle of Wifi (Tucson, AZ, 1078 mi)

In an instance, the region between Texas and Arizona melted together, the travelers who were at the center of Texas now found themselves closer to their new home, the odometer showed a magnificent amount, but the travelers were unaware of the events, what have transpired or where they had been, there bodies ached and were filled with dust.

So, Day 4 we had a really long trip to Pecos, Texas. What surprised me was that Texas isn't a barren wasteland as I thought, the middle and east side are pretty habitable, lots of trees and green fields. the trip was long and enjoyable, rolling hills and typical road scenery. Closer to Pecos is another thing, the green fields changed to yellow dried grass, more dirt, trees started disappearing and the bushes kept getting smaller, the dried grass was replaced by oil fields, a tapestry of pumpjacks covered the land. The air was red, dirty and dusty, the wifi was useless.

I should note from the start of the trip, the hotels kept improving, the first hotel in Columbia, SC felt ghetto-ish, waifu could not sleep because she thought people would steal our stuff. Second day hotel was in Tuscaloosa, AL, quite a change, still simple, but nice, clean, peaceful. Third Hotel was magnificent, very elegant and what could be described as 'upper classy', this was in Longview, TX, it had a kitchen, large bathroom, super nice bed, lots of tv channels, this was a high end room, but was paradoxically the cheapest of all the ones in the trip.

Then we landed in Pecos, TX. The air had a slight scent of oil, the weather was hot and dry and dust blew around. The hotel was a god awful place, some relic from the 70s that refused to die with a particular smell emanating from that era. We were given a 2 bed room, one of the beds was collapsed in the middle, we took the other one. The place was the worst in the trip, but paradoxically, the most expensive, will not travel there again.

Day 5:

I had said previously that we would be driving through a dessert wasteland, that should have been directed at New Mexico, theres almost nothing, the road is mostly straight with nothing but dessert and a few brushes, think Fallout New Vegas. Not much to say, but that there were signs pointing to seeing "THE THING", from 300 miles back, every 50 miles, I can't say I wasn't intrigued, but the likelyhood of it being some crappy gimmick was overwhelming, we passed by it. The great thing about travel through New Mexico is that the end part you are greeted with the most beautiful rock formations, we took a few pictures, it was just awe inspiring looking at them. Will post when I can

Then we entered Arizona, passed Tombstone (famous ghost town for that movie made by Hollywood), and arrived at Tucson, AZ , quaint town, the hotel is super nice, second after LongView one. It has been a long trip, tomorrow we dine in Tacos!

View Postshampo0o, on 16 September 2015 - 11:29 AM, said:

All your Euro Truck Simulator 2 skillz will come in handy this trip I presume.
You can think that the overdrive was the retarder you forgot to turn off. And the cats and dogs are cattle that will get you more money and need you to drive more cautious.
Your wife will get sick at the end off the trip from you roll-playing.

Surprisingly, it did. All my training led up to this, long rides, heavy cargo handling, making sure I can enter/leave places, stopping at truck stops, watching out for cops. The drive provides a long meditational experience, its funny how shorter trips have felt ridiculously longer than long drives. I felt I was one with the truck drivers, we would watch for each other, I would make sure they had space to enter my lane, they would flash me to let me know I could pass them safely. It is a comradely deeply shared between us that goes beyond what any one else could experience.
Posted Image

G-Man Personal Aid

Icon

#10 Posted 18 September 2015 - 10:57 PM

I bet he's eating those tacos right now
Posted Image
Steam ID || NNID: Inimitable
Former HLF Staff, 6/6/2019 - 9/5/20XX

High Priest of Onionism

Icon

#11 Posted 19 September 2015 - 02:57 PM

Haha, inim, you don't know how right you are.

#hlfallout IRC.gamesurge.net said:

<suicide_mission> HELLO BITCHES
<suicide_mission> BABY IS BACK IN TOWN
<suicide_mission> MY GOD I MISSED YOU NOT TALKING
<@Brumisator> haha, welcome to cali, sui
<@Brumisator> amazing you're alive
<@Brumisator> how many minutes after crossing the state border did you wait before getting a food truck taco?
<suicide_mission> Brumisator,
<suicide_mission> lets see, it took us 10 minutes from the border to the house
<suicide_mission> so 12 minutes until taco
<suicide_mission> was glorious
<suicide_mission> Posted Image
<suicide_mission> eating it right now
<suicide_mission> i just came

Posted Image
A Vvaardenfell sunset

Colonel Benefactor

Icon

Icon

#13 Posted 23 September 2015 - 04:33 PM

Last Update

Posted Image

Yes, the stories are true, I made it, 2779 miles + next day I had to go to LA for family business, so, in total 3K miles across america. Long trip, most of it was staring at the road, contemplating the meaning of life, it turns out its money and object wealth. More of it, not less.

I will try to post pictures later today, have a good day.
Posted Image

High Priest of Onionism

Icon

#14 Posted 25 September 2015 - 09:47 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image
A Vvaardenfell sunset

Sex bomb

#15 Posted 25 September 2015 - 01:27 PM

he died on the way back to his home planet
rip

Page 1 of 1