Half-Life Fallout: Half Life 2: Episode 3 promised over a decade ago - Half-Life Fallout

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Half Life 2: Episode 3 promised over a decade ago

Ivan the Space Biker's Personal Aid

Icon

#1 Posted 26 May 2016 - 05:07 PM

Arstechnica has an article reporting how on this day (May 24th) Valve announced the development of Episode 3 of the Half Life 2 franchise OVER A DECADE AGO!

Just over ten years ago, on May 24, 2006, Valve first announced it was working on Half-Life 2: Episode 3, the final part "in a trilogy... that will conclude by Christmas 2007."

The article goes on to harshly criticize Valve, admonishing them for turning a long awaited finally into nothing more than vaporware:

While we could mention that a major worldwide financial crisis and recovery (not to mention an entire two-term presidential administration) will have come and gone during the official wait for the next Half-Life, it might be more relevant to note that famous vaporware measuring stick Duke Nukem Forever was actually releasedduring that time. With Sony seemingly prepared to release long-delayed The Last Guardian this year,Episode 3 (and/or Half-Life 3) may cement its status as the new standard by which all other vaporware is measured.

Read the article here.
Posted Image

G-Man Personal Aid

#2 Posted 27 May 2016 - 01:14 AM

Valve at least avoided true vaporware status by pretty early on telling people it's basically not happening. It's been many years since Valve left it open and especially wasn't promising the game's release.

But pretty early on could be measured in years; I suppose Valve development team truly didn't lose interest for a while.
Does Gabe Newell ever wonder what life would be like without Gordon Freeman?

Posted Image

G-Man Personal Aid

Icon

#3 Posted 27 May 2016 - 04:07 AM

In other news Left for Dead 3 and Portal 3 has been announced.

and Hats for Counter-Stikez and phat weapon skinz for Team Fortessssssss two, and Gravity Gun for Dota.

I don't know why Valve decided to abandon Gordon, and It's now at the point that anything they come out with either has to be a masterpiece or it's going to be a total let down.
They used to call me FatFunkey

Steam Profile Xbox Live ID FatFunkeyPiRaTe

Sex bomb

#4 Posted 27 May 2016 - 02:08 PM

Valve makes way more money with other business ventures than they'd do with another Half-Life game. It makes sense why 3 isn't high in their priorities list compared to other developers who have to pump out sequels to sure-sellers to survive.

Icon

#5 Posted 27 May 2016 - 04:10 PM

View PostEl Inspector, on 27 May 2016 - 10:08 AM, said:

Valve makes way more money with other business ventures than they'd do with another Half-Life game. It makes sense why 3 isn't high in their priorities list compared to other developers who have to pump out sequels to sure-sellers to survive.

all of you are wrong, its not Valve's policy to force their employees to work on whats profitable, rather, they pick what they want to work in and what makes the most sense for their talent and enjoyment. Groups form ad-hoc and game releases are driven by that.

What people should understand is that there isn't enough interest in Half Life 3 within Valve's game developers to complete it anytime soon. Maybe there is, its not obvious, but they kept fairly quiet on TF2 and that took 9 years.

We know they had it pretty much done back in 2007, but either they lost interest, or they decided to scrap it all and make something amazing. My sense is that they wanted something more epic, but the game evolution was not there (a la HL2 or TF2 ) and it fizzled with a bare skeleton crew working on it.

I will pray for you Gordon buddy, whatever alien grunt you are killing up there in the heavens...
Posted Image

Gordon Freeman's Personal Aid

#6 Posted 28 May 2016 - 03:50 AM

View Postsuicide_mission, on 27 May 2016 - 09:40 PM, said:

What people should understand is that there isn't enough interest in Half Life 3 within Valve's game developers to complete it anytime soon. Maybe there is, its not obvious, but they kept fairly quiet on TF2 and that took 9 years.

That's fine but Portal 2 came out of beta more than 5 years ago. Since then the only new game they have released is a set of VR demos (the Lab). Still I will give credit where it's due Valve does a good job of updating their existing multiplayer games.

But it's been 5 years since their last big game and the only thing we have got is a VR demo?
They have not even announced another project officially? What game developer behaves like that?

The thing is AAA game development is very difficult. It takes hundreds of people working diligently on different modular components for years on end in coordinated project towards an end goal. Valve has the talent. The question is do they still have the motivation and capability to get organized and pull that off? Now that there is no financial incentive to do so.

Mr Macintosh

Icon

#7 Posted 28 May 2016 - 03:43 PM

Wait... I thought I'd been playing Half-Life 3 the whole time... was a little confused when it had a lot more puzzle elements.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Icon

#8 Posted 28 May 2016 - 03:52 PM

i dont know whats happening, anybody up for isketch?
Posted Image

Gordon Freeman's Personal Aid

#9 Posted 04 June 2016 - 04:25 PM

G-Man Personal Aid

Icon

#10 Posted 05 June 2016 - 10:48 PM

Just seeing this topic title at the top of the list of the front page makes me laugh.
Posted Image
Steam ID || NNID: Inimitable
Former HLF Staff, 6/6/2019 - 9/5/20XX

Icon

#11 Posted 20 June 2016 - 07:58 PM

Thanks Obama!
Posted Image

Post Maniac

#12 Posted 26 June 2016 - 12:30 AM

View Postsuicide_mission, on 27 May 2016 - 12:10 PM, said:

all of you are wrong, its not Valve's policy to force their employees to work on whats profitable

Hahahahahaha really?? That kool aid must taste great buddy

What people should understand is that there isn't enough interest in Half Life 3 within Valve's game developers to complete it anytime soon.

Correct, because they're Scrooge McDucking into their piles of gold.

How anyone can still defend Valve at all is beyond me after all the nonsense they put their core clients through.

Anyone remember September 30 2003?

(Yes I posted. Get over it)
"Hey, Gordon, long time no see...go save the world! Here's a crowbar!"
Best Half-Life 2 review ever

G-Man Personal Aid

#13 Posted 26 June 2016 - 01:54 PM

View PostNegroN, on 26 June 2016 - 01:30 AM, said:

Hahahahahaha really?? That kool aid must taste great buddy

I bet it is closer to Google's 80/20 rule where 20% of any developer's time is truly left what to that developer wants to do. But otherwise I don't buy the lack of top-down project management that almost all other companies have.

EDIT:

It is not as though Valve didn't give developers back in the day aka 2007-2009 timeframe a say in what games were being made. I bet within the games project sphere Valve probably let the developers say what games they wanted to develop at least until recently. But Steam and VR over the last 5-7 years became too valuable for a company to ignore the pressure of maintaining by taking developer resources away from game development although switching a game developer to an application developer is not that easy.
Does Gabe Newell ever wonder what life would be like without Gordon Freeman?

Posted Image

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users