Half-Life Fallout: Jay Pinkerton leaves Valve - Half-Life Fallout

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Jay Pinkerton leaves Valve

Ivan the Space Biker's Personal Aid

Icon

#1 Posted 07 June 2017 - 03:03 PM

There appears to be an exodus at Valve. Chetz Faliszek announced on tweeter that Jay Pinkerton will leave Valve. Jay started working at Valve in 2008 as a writer during the launch of the Orange Box, worked on "Meet the..." videos, developed several of the TF2 Comics and co-wrote the story for Portal 2. He has yet to post a reason for his departure.

More info at rockpapershotgun.

I guess HL3 is all wrapped up and ready to be released...
Posted Image

Prowler

#2 Posted 08 June 2017 - 10:42 AM

Posted Image
"Now, if a unicorn can regenerate magic faster than the headcrab can suck...
We could have a super headcrab epidemic on our hands." -EatChildren

G-Man Personal Aid

Icon

#3 Posted 08 June 2017 - 01:40 PM

But... but muh TF2 comics aren't done yet... :(

I grow more disillusioned with Valve over time. I think Steam as a platform is great, and their push into VR is great, but... I miss the old Valve too. DOTA and CSGO aren't my bag, so the lack of single player and/or story driven games is a big, gaping hole. I really hope to see something compelling from them in 2017. Maybe at E3...
Posted Image
Steam ID || NNID: Inimitable
Former HLF Staff, 6/6/2019 - 9/5/20XX

High Priest of Onionism

Icon

#4 Posted 08 June 2017 - 03:33 PM

I know this is HLF and all, but I can't believe there are people left who still believe in Valve as a game dev. They've released nothing substantial in years!

Give up hope already! It's okay, lots of other people are making good videogames.
Posted Image
A Vvaardenfell sunset

G-Man Personal Aid

Icon

#5 Posted 08 June 2017 - 11:38 PM

Valve's gone balls to the wall in VR. They've got 3 full games in development. I don't doubt their capabilities as game developers. I do doubt that we'll see any meaningful single player, story driven content. That in particular is what I'm bemoaning now that they've officially lost their last writer.
Posted Image
Steam ID || NNID: Inimitable
Former HLF Staff, 6/6/2019 - 9/5/20XX

Ivan the Space Biker's Personal Aid

Icon

#6 Posted 09 June 2017 - 06:18 PM

View PostInimitable, on 08 June 2017 - 07:38 PM, said:

Valve's gone balls to the wall in VR. They've got 3 full games in development. I don't doubt their capabilities as game developers. I do doubt that we'll see any meaningful single player, story driven content. That in particular is what I'm bemoaning now that they've officially lost their last writer.

I don't see that much of a problem. Valve hasn't created any new IP since Half Life. All the others have been acquired: TF2, Portal, L4D, Dota, CS, etc. If they need a story, they will bring in talented folk. If they see a worthwhile game, they will buy it.

The cabal system is in play, so its really about developers at Valve not interested in single player stories. There is absolutely nothing stoping them.

I think its their engine, its old and hard to develop for, so enthusiasm is dead.
Posted Image

Prowler

#7 Posted 10 June 2017 - 01:37 AM

View Postsuicide_mission, on 09 June 2017 - 02:18 PM, said:

I don't see that much of a problem. Valve hasn't created any new IP since Half Life. All the others have been acquired: TF2, Portal, L4D, Dota, CS, etc. If they need a story, they will bring in talented folk. If they see a worthwhile game, they will buy it.

The cabal system is in play, so its really about developers at Valve not interested in single player stories. There is absolutely nothing stoping them.

I think its their engine, its old and hard to develop for, so enthusiasm is dead.

To support the old engine theory Gabe did confirm they are using Unity:

Details on the games were kept secret, although Newell did confirm they're being built in both Unity and the company's own Source 2 game engine.

https://arstechnica....ength-vr-games/

So yeah they seem to be moving away from their own engine...
Posted Image
"Now, if a unicorn can regenerate magic faster than the headcrab can suck...
We could have a super headcrab epidemic on our hands." -EatChildren

#8 Posted 10 June 2017 - 07:20 PM

View PostBrumisator, on 08 June 2017 - 11:33 AM, said:

I know this is HLF and all, but I can't believe there are people left who still believe in Valve as a game dev. They've released nothing substantial in years!

i disagree. not counting the lab (understandable), dota 2 came out 4 years ago which is a reasonable time between games if 1-3 of their VR projects come out this year

View Postssj3fox, on 09 June 2017 - 09:37 PM, said:

To support the old engine theory Gabe did confirm they are using Unity. So yeah they seem to be moving away from their own engine...

it's also possible that x game works better in unity and y game works better in S2
Posted Image

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users