Half-Life Fallout: Oculus Rift 50% + controllers - Half-Life Fallout

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Oculus Rift 50% + controllers



Ivan the Space Biker's Personal Aid

Posts: 7,005

Icon

#1 Posted 11 October 2017 - 07:02 PM

The Oculus Rift is now 399 USD with the touch controllers. This is a 50% discount from the original 799 USD price. It does not include the machine to power it.
Additionally, Facebook (uggh) is developing an Oculus Go without controllers that is 199, hmmm, better deal?

Posted Image







Posted Image



High Priest of Onionism

Posts: 21,061

Icon

#2 Posted 12 October 2017 - 12:43 PM

urgh, another spambot, it even copied one of our admin's name and avatar, how devious.

banned.


Didn't you recently shit on the whole current gen VR, sui? iirc you said it needs to bet orders of magnitude better before you'll even consider buying one.
Posted Image
A Vvaardenfell sunset



G-Man Personal Aid

Posts: 1,565

Icon

#3 Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:19 PM

The standalone looks to be separated into two tiers. The "Go" is the $200 model with no positional tracking or controllers. It's basically a nicer GearVR without the need to use a phone. The comparatively higher end "Santa Cruz" model (still codenamed, presumably) will be a mystery amount of dollars, but has positional tracking and tracked controller support.

What's exciting is they're both inside-out tracking, which means no cameras or cables needed. The resolution is also a small step up (1440p vs the Rift's ~1200p), though the panel is LCD (a small step down as far as color clarity and true blacks go).

I'm not really looking to buy either of them, since I have a Rift, but they are a cool look forward to what the Rift 2 - and similar headsets from other companies - might look like. Maybe if I get drunk and feel spendy I'll look into the Go for a personal, portable movie theater.
Posted Image
Steam ID || NNID: Inimitable
Former HLF Staff, 6/6/2019 - 9/5/20XX



Mr Macintosh

Posts: 16,914

Icon

#4 Posted 12 October 2017 - 04:11 PM

After trying the Playstation VR I'm gonna hold off until the technology gets a lot better. I never get motion sick playing games but VR just wrecks me.
Posted Image



G-Man Personal Aid

Posts: 1,565

Icon

#5 Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:33 PM

At some point you can't blame the hardware for that. Our brains are wired to expect certain input when moving. Until we get to a point where we can use electrical impulses to trick the vestibular system or something, better hardware isn't going to solve motion sickness.

There are a lot of software improvements that will help. Devs have been figuring it out over the last couple years. For example, the amount of acceleration when beginning to move makes a tremendous difference in how things "feel."

One will also develop VR "sea legs" by simply spending time in it. If you want to. Your acquaintance with the PSVR didn't put you in a dogfighting sim or something crazy the first time, right? :laugh:
Posted Image
Steam ID || NNID: Inimitable
Former HLF Staff, 6/6/2019 - 9/5/20XX



Ivan the Space Biker's Personal Aid

Posts: 7,005

Icon

#6 Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:47 PM

View PostBrumisator, on 12 October 2017 - 08:43 AM, said:

urgh, another spambot, it even copied one of our admin's name and avatar, how devious.

banned.


Didn't you recently shit on the whole current gen VR, sui? iirc you said it needs to bet orders of magnitude better before you'll even consider buying one.


sure, I still stand by it. I don't believe smart watches are there either, but if you offered me one at substantial discount I would reconsider it.

I think the big issue for me is that VR needs to be at peoples expectations, that you are there, and not reminded that you are locked into a bulky device and constrained into a small space. Grab and go, no preparation, no setup, no driver config, no mess of wires, etc.

Microsoft had the right idea of augmented reality, no virtual world were you are reminded that everything is fake and non interactive until you grab some virtual shovel with clumsy input, more like add on to our world, so we can seamlessly integrate it and use our fingers to operate it. They just need to fit the technology (size & weight) into sun glasses. It would be a no brainer to have those.
Posted Image



High Priest of Onionism

Posts: 21,061

Icon

#7 Posted 12 October 2017 - 06:23 PM

View PostInimitable, on 12 October 2017 - 08:33 PM, said:

At some point you can't blame the hardware for that. Our brains are wired to expect certain input when moving. Until we get to a point where we can use electrical impulses to trick the vestibular system or something, better hardware isn't going to solve motion sickness.

There are a lot of software improvements that will help. Devs have been figuring it out over the last couple years. For example, the amount of acceleration when beginning to move makes a tremendous difference in how things "feel."

One will also develop VR "sea legs" by simply spending time in it. If you want to. Your acquaintance with the PSVR didn't put you in a dogfighting sim or something crazy the first time, right? :laugh:


I remember reading a study saying that "sea legs" are a myth, there are salty old semen seamen that have been on ships their entire lives and still get seasick. It seems you cannot train your way our of it.
You can naturally become less prone to it, like I have, when growing out of childhood. But it's not something you can will to happen, as it's all in the peripheral nervous system.

Furthermore, I have read in less rigorous studies that dogfighting games are somewhat easier to get used to, because you still have something tangible looking, a cockpit surrounding you, so you get your bearings better than say, some sort of free fps game
Posted Image
A Vvaardenfell sunset



G-Man Personal Aid

Posts: 1,565

Icon

#8 Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:04 PM

Poor sui, never experiencing cool technology until he deems it perfect. I have to imagine he's passed on a lot of movies while we still work to perfect CGI. :P


View PostBrumisator, on 12 October 2017 - 10:23 AM, said:

I remember reading a study saying that "sea legs" are a myth, there are salty old semen seamen that have been on ships their entire lives and still get seasick. It seems you cannot train your way our of it.
You can naturally become less prone to it, like I have, when growing out of childhood. But it's not something you can will to happen, as it's all in the peripheral nervous system.

Read away (neerrrd!) but I can tell you from experience motion sickness from VR can and does get trained out. Free locomotion no longer bothers me at all. Took about a week of playing 30ish minutes/day to ease into the faster stuff.

View PostBrumisator, on 12 October 2017 - 10:23 AM, said:

Furthermore, I have read in less rigorous studies that dogfighting games are somewhat easier to get used to, because you still have something tangible looking, a cockpit surrounding you, so you get your bearings better than say, some sort of free fps game

Sure, a fixed frame of reference like a cockpit helps a lot. But in a dogfighting game you're, well, dogfighting. That's inherently a sickening experience.

A slower game, like Euro Truck Simulator 2, might be a better foray into driving/flying in VR.
Posted Image
Steam ID || NNID: Inimitable
Former HLF Staff, 6/6/2019 - 9/5/20XX

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users